Essential oils can be your new medicine cabinet, however, there are some cautions and things you should know about them so that you don’t rush into the self care mode and not know what you are doing, here is a partial list of things you may not know about the oils and it is best that you do know, read these over and become familiar with them, if ever in doubt google your question and do some research on your questions.
1) Most applications topically should be diluted with a carrier oil, my preference for most applications is fractionated organic coconut oil (therapeutic grade).
2) Give the applications of the oils time to work, sometimes it may take several days, even a month or so to see results.
3) Do not ever use essential oils in the eyes, in the event of accidental contact with the eye, dilute with a vegetable oil NOT water.
4) Do not ever put directly inside the ear canal, put the oil on a cotton swab and place it in the ear, remember just a little works, don’t saturate the cotton swab, just a drop will work, you can put tape over it to keep it in the ear.
5) Do not put in open wounds.
6) Keep essential oils away from open flames as they are flammable.
7) Always purchase therapeutic grade essential oils, it needs to say it on the label.
8) It is also recommended that oils be stored in a cool place away from direct sunlight. Improper storage may lead to evaporation and reduced shelf-life.
9) Hot Oils are essential oils that may cause a burning sensation when applied to the skin. They should be diluted and use caution when applying. Some hot oils include basil, oregano, thyme, and to a lesser extent, citrus and mint families.
10) Some essential oils can cause irritation to the skin if it is exposed to sunlight after application. To prevent this, you may need to stay out direct sunlight for several hours (up to a day) after applying specific oils. Bergamot, Cumin, Grapefruit, and Lime
11) Essential oils can be inhaled and be as effective, I inhale each oil three times and depending on the condition, I do it two or three times a day and/or until the condition has subsided.
If you have any specific questions you can also contact me thru the comment section and I will help you if I can and if I can’t I will suggest where you can find the answers…have fun with essential oils and healthy living!!!!